This is my first meat dish on the blog! I was challenged to make it by a large container of leftover chicken in my fridge. I wanted an Italian-spiced dish, but something that the kids would like (they prefer spaghetti to almost anything). This dish features a special mix of goat cheese, fresh mozzarella and lemon zest, paired with a simple garlic and herb tomato sauce. It’s easy, wholesome and offers lots of leftovers! (And my kids LOVED it!)
3 cloves garlic
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. dried thyme
2 tsp. olive oil
2 tsp. lemon zest
1 can tomato sauce
2 1/2 cups chopped chicken
2 cups grated fresh mozzarella, leave 1/2 cup to top casserole
1 package herbed goat cheese
1 pound spiral pasta
1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Boil pasta until al dente, about 7 minutes.
3. In a sauce pan, saute garlic in olive oil until toasted, about two or three minutes.
4. Add tomato sauce, herbs and chicken. Simmer while pasta boils. Add salt and pepper to sauce to taste.
5. Drain pasta.
6. In a casserole dish, mix the cheeses and lemon zest together.
7. Add cooked pasta, chicken sauce to the casserole dish. Stir until well blended.
8. Top pasta with 1/2 cup mozzarella.
9. Cover casserole dish and bake for 20 minutes.
10. Uncover and bake pasta for 5 to 10 more minutes or until golden brown.
11. Let stand for about five to 10 minutes.
Serve with mixed greens salad and pears … yum!